Mum’s The Word ~ Fall Wreath Tutorial

While the thermometer might read 110 degrees here in Phoenix my heart says that it is fall. One of the many “Fall In Love” projects I have listed on the lower right hand sidebar was to create a new wreath for the front door.

fall wreath 055-1

As a child my grandma Mary always had a garden full of beautiful marigolds and mums during the season of autumn. I thought that such a happy memory would be a great way to welcome guests to our home.

fall wreath 033-1

For the felt leaves I used a template from Creating Cupcakes. Holly used embroidery floss to create very cute leaf veins. I was short on time, so I cheated by using a long straight stitch on my sewing machine.

FYI ~ I like working with wool felt the best and you can find some wonderful colors on Etsy. Joann’s also has a large selection of craft felt by the yard.

fall wreath 024

I used a contrasting colored thread to give the leaves an extra flourish of fall fabulousness.

fall wreath 025

For the small marigold cut out a piece of felt that is 1 inch wide and approximately 15 inches long. (Larger flowers just get a little bit wider and longer.) Use your scissors to cut the felt into small strips along the length of the felt. It results in a fringed look.

fall wreath 027

Grab your handy dandy glue gun and add a tiny bit of glue and roll. Repeat about 500 million times.

fall wreath 029

When you think you might go crazy, watch this. Begin to substitute words with “Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’, keep that felt a rollin’ ~ ~ ~D E S I G N!  Keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’, though your fingers are swollen, keep that felt a rollin’ DE E  S I  GNNNNN!”

After eight hundred hours of cuttin’, stitchin’ and rollin’ I was able to lay out an arrangement that pleased the eye and hot glued the pieces down on a grapevine wreath I had in the garage. 

fall wreath 048

While you could cover the entire wreath, I liked the rustic texture the grapevine provided by peeking through the fall flora and fauna. 

fall wreath 055-1

Yahoo! One project is now crossed off my list. I am now on my way to Falling In Love With A House I Hate.

I can’t wait to see your projects and crafts on Wednesday!

Laura

Linking to:

Labels: ,